Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Carrot Cake


Mmmmm... Carrot Cake!!! I really love Carrot Cake. Not only does it taste super yummy, but it just sounds so healthy since it's got plenty of carrots!! Ha ha!!

Our church had Homecoming this past weekend. I took my Mom's Chicken Pot Pie, iced tea ("Southern" sweet, of course) and Carrot Cake, per Mr. U's request.

I had never made Carrot Cake before and Mr. U really likes it, so I decided to try it. I have this "thing" about me... I'm kind of weird... I have a hard time following any recipe. So, true to form, I didn't follow any one recipe for this cake. I combined several recipes for the cake and the icing. Surprisingly, it came out DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!! Mr. U was pleasantly pleased, which means S-U-C-C-E-S-S in my book!

Here's the recipe in case y'all want to give it a try. And if y'all have any changes that you make, please share them!! :)

Carrot Cake

1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups grated fresh carrots*
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Grease two round cake pans. Mix together oil, sugar, eggs, carrots, pineapple, flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt until well blended. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown (cake should spring back when you touch it with your finger). Cool in pans before turning onto cooling racks.

*Do NOT use carrots from the grocery store that have already been shredded. They are too stiff. Buy whole carrots and grate them by hand for a more moist cake.

Cream Cheese Icing

1 stick salted butter
2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans

Make sure that butter and cream cheese are soft and at room temperature. Blend all ingredients together very well and spread on your cake layers. Yum!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have a food processor, run your fresh carrots through that for less work and mess, plus a great texture. My dh LOVES carrot cake.

Tammy said...

That cake looks delicious! I love carrot cake, but alas, my husband does not. I'm afraid I don't need to make a whole cake for my consumption alone!!!

Anonymous said...

This is similar to a cake that I make. The only real differences are that I add raisins and coconut to the batter. The other difference? Your's is prettier!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty cake! Carrot is our favorite!(no raisins and coconut for us though)

New Mom said...

I second mrs.h's advice. Food processors work wonderfully for carrot cakes.

Unknown said...

I am going to make this cake this weekend. Is the frosting very sweet? If so, what do you suggest I do to make it less sweet. Could I just add less sugar.

*carrie* said...

This looks fabulous--thanks for sharing the recipe!

theups said...

Dawn, my son actually told me that he thought the icing should be sweeter. HA!! When you make the icing, start with 2 cups of powdered sugar and taste it to see what you think. Add more powdered sugar if you think it needs it. Or add more if you would like, too!!

His,
Mrs. U

Kim said...

In case someone needs to use the pre-shredded carrots for time--if you add a couple of tablespoons of pureed carrot baby food, it should be moist enough.

Charity Grace said...

What's with all the carrot cakes popping up all over the blogosphere? Ever since I saw Jewels' carrot cake a few weeks ago at Eyes of Wonder, I have been craving it. Tomorrow is grocery day, so hopefully I can get the ingredients and make one myself. Yours is beautiful!

Kimberly, probably a little applesauce would do the trick too, without compromising the flavors.

Wendi said...

Looks great! Hubby loves cream cheese icing so I will give your recipe a try.

Julieann said...

YUMMY!!!

Lean Not said...

I think I just gained weight, just from looking at that picture!! It looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Mrs. U., thanks for stopping by my blog. I will post about the trip soon, but there are some things I don't want to write publicly. If you're curious about the rest of it, send me an e-mail at leannot@gmail.com. :)

Arlene said...

My mom's recipe is very similar, Mrs. U. I don't normally like carrot cake, but I love hers (and, I'm sure I would love yours since it's about the same) Yours looks lovely! :~)

Jodi said...

I have a hard time following any recipe...

My daughter made chocolate chip macaroons by slightly adapting a recipe (and she's not even super-de-duper into cooking). She started laughing and said, "My first recipe and I've already adapted it! I really am like you, Momma." I always say I've never met a recipe I love that I didn't want to change. lol!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Great looking recipe you have there. I'm gonna ask because I wanna try it, and don't have much experience with cakes: the pineapple, do you use both the juice too, or not? Your help would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

theups said...

Hi Cynthia!!
Definitely let me know how the cake turns out for you! I am so excited that you are going to try it!

As for the pineapple, use everything in the can. The juice adds to the moistness of the cake and makes it extra yummy! :)

His,
Mrs. U

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin