Friday, January 18, 2008

Show and Tell Friday- Mickey Mouse Cookbook...

Hooray! It's time for Kelli's "Show and Tell Friday"!! Instead of me just looking at all the participants blogs, I am participating, too.

Today I would love to share with y'all my very first cookbook- Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Cookbook. I cannot remember what age I was when my mom bought it for me, but I do have lots of fond memories of this book! I was very excited when I saw it at my parents' house a few years ago- I had forgotten all about it! I look forward to giving it to Elizabeth one day.

Here it is- Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Cookbook!!!



There are very clear instructions in this cookbook to learn to measure properly.



Wonderful "Kitchen Rules" are included for safety while cooking. Things like "If you have long hair, tie it back" and "Wash your hands!!" Definitely all things that children need to learn about before learning to cook.



I remember making "Mickey Mouse's Sugar Cookies" with my mom. Yum!!!



By far, my favorite recipe from this cookbook was always "King Louie's Fruit Salad"!! We didn't serve it on lettuce leaves like the recipe says (Goodness gracious!! I was changing around recipes even as a child!!!!), but I remember making this for our Sunday dinners quite often when I was younger. Hmmm. I think I need to put this on our menu soon!!



There are lots more wonderful instructions as well as fabulous (and easy!!!) recipes in this fun cookbook. I am so glad that I found it after all these years.

EDIT: In case anyone is interested, I just found the cookbook for sale online!! Go here to see it.

31 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh how special. It's great it brought back such good memories. Thanks for sharing.

Betty said...

I really like your Mickey Mouse cookbook....an inspiration....Betty

Cheryl said...

How fun that you found your old cookbook. I'm glad your mother kept it :-)

Anonymous said...

I know that I remember seeing this cookbook somewhere in my past. I don't remember if I had one, or if my sister had it, but you have given me a dejavu experience. I love Show and Tell Friday! Thanks for sharing your Mickey Mouse Cookbook!
-Cookie Sunshine

Martha said...

What a neat cookbook. I am sure that your daughter will treasure it as a family heirloom. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
~Martie

Tori Leslie said...

How neat is that. Looks like alot of fun!

Susan said...

What a wonderful thing to have and be able to pass on.
Susan

Gattina said...

That's wonderful a cookbook for children ! I have never seen such !

Unknown said...

Great memories!

Hootin Anni said...

OMG ----this is PRICELESS!!!

My show n tell is posted. I'd love to have you visit me today. :o)

Isabelle said...

wow, it brings back lots of souvenirs !! I have the exact same cookbook, but in French.

Anonymous said...

I love cookbooks, and that one is a treasure to pass down.

Edi said...

Fun book! I too have my very first cookbook - A Betty Crocker Kids' book...I don't think I ever made a recipe from it :( but now my dd has it.

nannykim said...

Well a Great Big POOOOWEEE--You should have told us the recipe for the fruit salad. If you do let me know--love the cookbook--so cute---do you know if they still make them?

nannykim said...

I looked on Amazon--can you tell me the year it was published---they don't have pics for all of the secondhand books. Thanks--leave a note at my blog--since I may forget where I found this!!

Mandy said...

How cute! I love Mickey Mouse! It looks like such a neat cookbook for kids, too. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember this cookbook. My cousin owned it when she was very young. The odd thing about it was she was not allowed to even make herself a peanut butter sandwich until she was about 12 years old! My mother saved a few of the cookbooks I used as a child and passed them on to me. Now that my children have been introduced to fractions I will be letting them experiment in the kitchen more. What fun!

ellen b. said...

Oh that is great! My first cookbook I had was when I got married! Enjoy!!

Mrs. U said...

Isabelle, how NEAT that you have this cookbook in French!! I never thought of it being in other languages!!

nannykim, if you go to this link http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disneys-Mickey-Mouse-Cookbook/dp/0307168123 you can see some of these for sale. What fun! Oh,and if you click on the picture of the fruit salad recipe, you can see the recipe. :)

His,
Mrs. U

Mrs. Pear said...

Oh! What a special memory and gift to hand down to Elizabeth!

Wendi said...

Wonderful memory! I will be storing one of these away for Miss Megan. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How neat to still have your first cookbook! It looks like it was a great one to learn on.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

What a neat cookbook. And even better, what special memories.

nancy said...

Oh, that is great. Don't you love Daisy Duck's little fanny!
Nancy

Lana G! said...

How cute is that! Love it.

Susan P. said...

Wow, what a special thing to have Mrs. U. I can imagine the joy you must feel as you remember using this book to cook with your Mom. Think of all the wonderful fun you and Elizabeth will have with it! BTW, your comment about changing around a recipe made me smile:o)

Linda said...

How fun, I love your childhood cookbook and what wonderful memories you have. Linda

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

OH that is so CUTE! I never new there was a cook book out by Mickey Mouse. I was read your chicken and dumplings I will have to try it. I make it but I have never used bacon greas. It sounds so yummy thank-you for sharing.
ginger

Kim said...

This looks like so much fun! What a great cookbook!

Anonymous said...

I loved this cookbook as a child, and I was searching for the Sugar Cookie recipe in it when I found your blog. I have been looking for that recipe for years. If you ever read this message and care to share it with me, I would be most appreciative!!!

Mrs. U said...

Hi Scrunchie99!
I just posted the recipe here http://makingahouseahome.blogspot.com/2008/10/mickey-mouses-sugar-cookies.html.

Happy cooking!

His,
Mrs. U

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin