Monday, April 28, 2008

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing...


We had family come in town a week ago and I wanted to make a cake. You know me, I'll look for any special occasion to make something sweet- especially a cake!! Cake just screams CELEBRATION, in my opinion. :)

I found a recipe for a banana cake on Allrecipes. Of course, I couldn't leave the recipe alone. I just had to tweak it some. :) Here's the recipe with my modifications. :)


Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 T baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup sour cream

Grease and flour 2 (9 inch) round pans. In a small bowl, combine flour, soda and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together softened butter and both sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Mix in the bananas. To the creamed mixture, add the flour mixture alternating with the sour cream (starting and ending with the flour mixture). Once well mixed, pour into the prepared pans.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack to cool.

Cool completely before icing.



Cream Cheese Icing

12 ounces of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup of butter, softened
20 ounces of powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat first two ingredients until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar, beating at low speed, until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.

Tip: A lady at our church owns a bakery. She told me that icing goes on cakes much easier when the cake is very cold or frozen. So, I will make the cake layers the day before I want to serve it, wrap each layer well and put them in the freezer overnight and then I put the icing on the next day. Yes, I frost it straight out of the freezer! There are NO cake crumbs in my icing. :)

14 comments:

Jen said...

My mom shared that same tip fro icing cakes, too. It makes the cake look great, but is also a great time saver because the cake is already baked and can just defrost underneath all that yummy icing:)
Loved the recipe:)

Mrs. U said...

Yes, Jen!!! It is WONDERFUL that it defrosts under the icing. And since I've been doing this, all my cakes have turned out SO moist!!

His,
Mrs. U

Wendi said...

My hubby would love this cake!

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious!

Donna Kay said...

My favorite cake in the whole world - you have a beautiful blog and I visit often.

Bless
Donna

Alyson and Ford said...

Love homemade cakes and icings; I would need to add walnuts to make hubby swoon!

Alyson LID 01/27/06

Trish said...

Sounds delicious!

Mrs. U said...

Hi Donna Kay!!
Oooh! Have you made this before? If so, what do you do differently in your recipe? I love to learn new little "tweaks" I could use!!

His,
Mrs. U

Tori Leslie said...

Hmm, that sounds yummy! Looks like a keeper!

Sharon said...

You always share the most delightful recipes! I can't wait to try this one!!! Keep them coming!! Hugs - - -

Anonymous said...

What a great tip! I'll have to try that next time I make a cake.

Your recipe looks great too. :)

June Fuentes @ A Wise Woman Builds Her Home said...

Mmmmmm......looks yummmmy.....

Connie J said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this! It looks scrumptios! Keep those great recipes coming. My 'larger than life' family is forever grateful ;-)
Blessings~

Doug and Terrye said...

I think we will invite someone over this week just so I will have the excuse to make this cake!! In the immortal words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo!"

Terrye in FL

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin