Monday, June 30, 2008

Ham and Black Bean Soup



Let me go ahead and tell y'all up front that Mr. U does NOT like black beans. At all. I, on the other hand, think they are divine. Every once in a while I'll try a new recipe in hopes that Mr. U will find them somewhat palatable.

After 9 1/2 years of marriage, I FINALLY found a recipe with black beans that he says is "pretty okay". Not exactly the statement I was looking for ("Oh, Honey!!! These black beans are AMAZING!! What have I been thinking all these years- I suddenly LOVE black beans!! Let's have more and SOON!!"... that's what I was hoping for!!!), but I'll take it!!!

Me? I LOOOOOVED this recipe!! Give me anything with garlic, lime and cilantro and I'm happy a happy girl!!!

Happy Monday, y'all!!



Ham and Black Bean Soup

1 cup red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
1 cup water
1 pound ham, diced into bite size cubes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 T ground cumin
sour cream
cilantro
fresh limes

In a dutch oven, saute onion, garlic and green pepper in olive oil over medium heat until tender and onions are slightly translucent. Add undrained beans and water and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Stir well and simmer for 20 minutes.

Using a potato masher, mash some of the beans in the pot. Mash it until you get the consistency your family likes. Or, you may leave the beans completely whole, if you prefer.

Add ham and simmer for 10 more minutes.

To serve, place soup in bowl and top with your choice of sour cream, cilantro, and/or a fresh squeeze of lime.

5 comments:

R. Mansfield said...

I've created a link to your recipe in our newest "Cast Iron Around the Web" entry at http://www.cookingincastiron.com

Tori Leslie said...

Hmm, that looks really good and very low if any carbs, I like it!
I'm gonna make it this week so I'll let you know how it goes.

Melissa Ward said...

The soup looks good, but I know my family won't eat it. :o( I wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss!! You're doing GREAT!

Melissa

Marytoo said...

This looks wonderful!!!

Chas' Crazy Creations said...

I make a black bean soup this time of year too, yours sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on To Grandma's House We Go!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin